ONE Meets with Commission on the Defence Forces
Yesterday (26th April), ONE represented by Chairperson, Colm Campbell and CEO, Ollie O’Connor met with the Commission on the Defence Forces. The foremost issue of ONE’s presentation concerned a Veterans Policy.
- ONE defines Veterans’ Policy as a declaration of the Government’s political activities, plans and intentions relating to veterans of the Defence Forces.
- Veterans’ Policy requires a whole of government approach as many of the issues affecting veterans such as health care and housing do not fall within the remit of the Department of Defence or the Defence Forces.
- ONE has three priority areas for inclusion in a Veterans’ Policy:
- The creation of an Office of Veterans’ Affairs.
- Research to underpin the Veteran’s Policy.
- Policy imprimatur for the essential work of ONE on behalf of veterans.