Dept of Defence invites applications for Civilian Clerk
The Department of Defence invites applications for appointment to the position of Civilian Clerk, based at the locations listed below. This competition is open to all candidates who meet the minimum eligibility criteria.
Defence Forces Training Centre (DFTC), Curragh, Co. Kildare
Defence Forces, HQ, Newbridge, Co Kildare
McKee Barracks, Dublin
Cathal Brugha Barracks, Dublin
Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel
Collins Barracks, Cork.
Naval Base & Dockyard, Haulbowline, Co Cork
St Bricins Military Hospital, Dublin
Requirements and Principal Duties of a Civilian Clerk
The nature of the work carried out by civilian clerks may vary depending on the business being conducted by the employing military instillation (Army/Navy/Air Corps). It will involve such clerical/administrative tasks as may be assigned to the employee from time to time. The following reflects the typical duties a successful applicant may be required to undertake but not restricted to:
• General clerical work e.g. filing, photocopying, answering/making telephone calls, dealing with emails, reception desk duties, etc. under the supervision of a designated manager/employing officer;
• Supporting line-managers and colleagues;
• Working as part of a team in delivering services;
• Communicating and dealing with the public/customers e.g. responding to queries and providing information face-to-face, by telephone or via email;
• Providing the highest quality standards in customer service;
• Using Information Technology on a daily basis, e.g. word processing, spreadsheets, database, email and internet;
• Maintaining high quality records in a thorough and organised manner;
• Checking all work thoroughly to ensure it is completed to a high standard;
• Carrying out routine accounts work including processing payments;
• Approaching work in a careful and methodical manner, displaying accuracy at all times, even when conducting routine/repetitive work.
• Any other duties deemed appropriate.
In certain instances positions may arise where specialist skills or experience is required e.g. accounts, language skills, typing skills, etc. Suitable candidates may be selected for the purpose of filling such vacancies.
An application form for the position is available on the Department of Defence website – https://www.gov.ie/en/organisation-information/b25b6d-job-vacancies/
Advice and information that may be of assistance to applicants is also available on the website.
If you are interested in being considered for the above position and are satisfied that you meet the criteria as outlined above, please complete an Application Form. Please send the application form and the required documentation by email to:
The closing date for receipt of completed Application Forms is 5:30pm on Friday, 12th August 2022. Applications received after this time will not be considered for the competition.
Please beware and seek advice if in receipt of a Service Pension as Pension Abatement will apply, more info here: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/retirement/older_people_and_working/working_in_retirement.html