From the Archives: Defence Forces Departure From Griffith Barracks Dublin
Griffith Barracks was opened in 1818 and known as the Richmond House of Correction and later the Richmond Bridewell. It was transferred to the War Department in 1887 and was subsequently renamed Wellington Barracks after the Duke of Wellington. Following independence, it was again renamed, this time to honour the memory of Arthur Griffith who died in 1922. In 1937, part of the barracks was leased to the Irish Amateur Boxing Association which continues to house the National Stadium on the South Circular Road.
Griffith Barracks was home to the 2 Cavalry Squadron following its relocation there from Cathal Brugha Barracks in 1975. It was another stopping point in the nomadic life of the unit that had been based previously in: Mullingar; Collins Barracks Dublin; Cabra Castle County Cavan; The Monastery Clondalkin Dublin; Royal Dublin Society Ballsbridge Dublin; McKee Barracks; Griffith Barracks (for the first time); and Cathal Brugha Barracks.
Griffith Barracks also housed: the Director of Cavalry; the Observer Corps; Headquarters Eastern Command FCA; Records Eastern Area; 20 Infantry Battalion; 2 Anti-Aircraft Battery; 11 Cavalry Squadron, 2 Field Medical Company; and a host of detachments from other units. Griffith Barracks was vacated in 1988 and was later developed into Griffith College.
The attached clip from RTÉ Archives captures the departure of the Defence Forces from Griffith Barracks. A number of the personnel featured in the clip have since passed away, may they Rest in Peace.